Saturday, January 12, 2013

White Marble

Happy Saturday after a long and uneventful first work week of 2103.

As I was saying yesterday - Mix and Match.

I have been avoiding marble because it is so overexposed in Hong Kong. Everywhere I go there is marble. Marble represents luxury, big spending, wealth etc. A low key person such as myself have ran the other way for as long as I have.

Having said that, recently I discovered that with the right dosage of the right marble, it can be elegant and subtle.

Two type of marble that is easily accessible in Hong Kong are white marble (looks a bit like blue cheese) and wood grain marble (I prefer the gray ones). White marble is probably a more versatile one of the two. They come in different price range, depending on its pattern. They can be quite cheap and cheerful yet looks like a million dollar. The downside of white marble is that they stain easily and go yellow when they age. Oh well, what the heck, I say just use it and pour your glass of red wine carefully.

Try not to do the following though, it is too full on for a typical Hong Kong bathroom (even though it works perfectly well in this picture).


Instead, mix it with other material:


They are fabulous for kitchen also.

I am very fond of this brass + white marble look. It does look however a little on the feminine side. Won't work well with Steve.


Goes extremely well with wood. This below image is neither too country or too modern. Just right.




A bit of black goes a million mile with the white marble. You can also replace the floor with concrete to create an even greater contrast.





and as furniture

 

Unable to find a whole lot of grey wood grain photos. Here is one. It goes well with white porcelain basin and bathtub; and the stainless steel sink mix. 

I will be having this combination with lacquer cabinet and concrete floor. An overall gray and white color palette. 






No comments:

Post a Comment