Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Unlearn what you've learn 忘記所學

I have added Chinese translation in the last 2 postings. I didn’t know how rusty I was until I did it. Funny I spent my teens struggling with English. Now I’m struggling to resuscitate my dying Chinese.

xxx

I wouldn’t go as far as calling myself a minimalist but I have always preferred clean, well-organized and symmetrical designs. I have spent most of the time in my previously projects worrying about what should pair with what, picking complimentary color, matching curtain with sofa, balance one side of the room with another and stick to one style of design.

Apparently that is dated. I believe the new way is to throw all these rules out the door.

Now I do appreciate a little randomness and unpredictability. ‘They key is to mix and not match’, I read in one of the design magazine yesterday. This means joining two distinctively different types of material, contrasting color, pull your furniture away from the wall or even point them at different directions. All in all, creating a vibe that all elements just fall together on their own.

This is a whole new level of decoration. The outcome can be quite extreme. You either love it or hate it. Nonetheless, being unintentinoally disorganized can truely reflects ones' own uniqueness and character.  

我剛剛在前二則blog 上加上中文翻譯。這時才明白自己的中文水準如何的退步。可笑是,我在中小學時間不斷苦練英文,現在又同樣地為中文㥧惱。

我不是一個簡單派主意者,但我一直比較喜歡整齊,有組織和平衡相稱的設計。以往的籌劃中,我都會花時間去配襯色調,物料,希望逹到統一和諧的效果。

原來這種想法已經過時,現今所主張的便是要張所有慣常的規條都拋於惱後。

我在一本雜誌中看到這樣的說話:「mix but don't match」。我欣賞這種隨意和不經意的態度。這就是要把二種節然不同的物料和顏色放在一起。什至張家具放在離開牆身的位置,又或者是令它們向著其他的方向。好像雜亂無張,但又極巨味道.

這是再高層次的設計,也會很極端。無論如何,這種不克意經營的風格,才能更突出真真正正的代表你本身別樹一格的品味。













No comments:

Post a Comment